The disappearance of contacts from your iPhone does not always mean that you deleted them yourself. It could have happened because you updated your iPhone to a newer iOS version or just because of some small nasty bug. Fortunately, there are several ways to restore iPhone contacts from an iPhone backup, and each of them comes with its pros and cons.
Choose what you like best:
- Restore iPhone contacts from iCloud
It will overwrite contacts while leaving intact the rest of the phone components. Note that you will need your Apple ID and password for that.
- 🧡 Restore iPhone contacts without iTunes
Download CopyTrans Shelbee for that. Similarly to iCloud, it will only overwrite your contacts.
- Restore iPhone contacts with iTunes
It will overwrite all of your data, but you won’t need to install any other software except iTunes.
- 💜 Extract iPhone contacts without iTunes and iPhone
No data will be overwritten and the contacts will be extracted to your PC. Use this method even if your device has been lost or broken.
- If you use CopyTrans Contacts
If you delete some iPhone contacts you can always restore your address book with CopyTrans Contacts.
Restore iPhone contacts from iCloud
For this method, you will need your Apple ID and password. The downside is that the archived contacts you download from iCloud will replace your existing iPhone contacts. If you are OK with that, follow these simple steps:
- Go to iCloud.com.
- Log in with your Apple ID and enter your password.
- Go to “Settings”.
- Scroll down until you see the section with Advanced settings. Then click on “Restore Contacts”.
- You will see a list of previously created archives, sorted by date. Choose the archive you need and click “Restore”.
- Click on “Restore” again.
- Wait a little bit…
Restore iPhone contacts without iTunes
Sometimes, however, iTunes may pull a dirty trick on you by making an unexpected backup (surpri-ise!). If it does so after you contacts have been deleted, it will overwrite the backup, making it an empty file instead. Besides, upon restore iTunes will overwrite all the data on your Phone, basically throwing you back to the time of the backup, and that is not always a welcome change.
If you want a program that will allow you to make full backup but custom restore (and also validates the backup on completion to make sure it is not corrupt), use CopyTrans Shelbee. It will make sure none of your data gets replaced, except for contacts.To get your contacts download CopyTrans Shelbee from the following page: Download CopyTrans Shelbee
Run CopyTrans Shelbee and connect the iPhone. Select “Custom restore”.
Click the green pencil button.
In the window that will shortly appear, look at the list of all your previous backups made with iTunes. Select the backup file you would like to restore from.
Choose “Contacts” and click “Next”.
For detailed instructions, please refer to the custom restore guide.
Restore iPhone contacts with iTunes
IMPORTANT!restoring iPhone contacts from backup via iTunes will delete any media tracks currently existing on your iPhone and will overwrite contents on the iPhone with the contents from the iOS backup file. If you want to avoid overwriting your data, you can restore just contacts from your backup with CopyTrans Shelbee or extract contacts on a PC without any overwriting via CopyTrans Backup Extractor.
- If you still want to use iTunes, then follow these steps:
Run iTunes and connect your iPhone.
Wait until iPhone appears within iTunes; then click on the iPhone icon.
From the “Summary” screen click the “Restore Backup…” button.
Disable the “Find my iPhone” feature if necessary. Read here how to do that.
If there are more than one backup entries, select the one that you expect contains the contacts and click “Restore”.
After the restore is complete, you will have your iPhone contacts recovered from the backup you choose.
Extract iPhone contacts without iTunes and iPhone
Use this method in case:
- you don’t want any of your data overwritten;
- you don’t want to use iTunes;
- you don’t have an iPhone (because, for example, it was lost or broken).
This method requires a PC with any type of iPhone backup on it and CopyTrans Backup Extractor. In case you don’t know how or where to search for backups, download CopyTrans Backup Extractor and it will do all the work for you.
You can download CopyTrans Backup Extractor by clicking on the button below:
- After the download, install and run the program: it will automatically start a “backup hunt”. When the search is finished, you will see the list of all the backups available on your PC. PLEASE NOTE: If you can’t see the backup you need, it may be stored in iCloud. Let CopyTrans Backup Extractor сheck it for you: just click on “iCloud Backups”.
- Select the backup you need.
- Click on “Contacts” and press “Next”.
- Select the destination folder. All your contacts from the iPhone backup will be extracted there.
You can read more about how to use CopyTrans Backup Extractor here: getting started with CopyTrans Backup Extractor
If you use CopyTrans Contacts
If you accidentally delete one or more of your iPhone contacts or calendar events, or make unintended changes, you can always restore the address book and/or calendars thanks to CopyTrans Contacts.
Run CopyTrans Contacts and go to More > Restore from the main program window:
Select the source to restore from. Depending on where the contacts are located, CopyTrans Contacts periodically creates a snapshot of the iPhone, iCloud, Google or Yahoo address book.
Choose the type of backup to restore from (i.e. contacts).
Validate the selection by clicking “Restore”:
Once the contacts are restored, click “Finish”.
These are the 5 main methods to get your contacts from a backup. Use the first three to restore and overwrite. Use CopyTrans Backup Extractor if you would rather avoid overwriting or no longer have the device.
And most importantly: now that you know better, do not forget to regularly back up your iPhone!