If you have ever wondered how to backup WhatsApp, you have come to the right place. Exporting WhatsApp chats to PC, including photos, voice messages, and gifs can be done in just a few clicks and without much hassle.
You can choose between three different ways of transferring WhatsApp chats to PC. The described methods only work for those, who want to backup iPhone Whatsapp messages. If you have an Android phone, you can follow the official WhatsApp guide on how to backup WhatsApp to Google Drive.
There are 3 ways to backup WhatsApp on iPhone:
- Backup WhatsApp to PC
- Backup WhatsApp to PC
- Backup WhatsApp to iCloud
- Export WhatsApp chat via email
Backup WhatsApp to PC via CopyTrans Contacts
If you need to save your WhatsApp chats to computer in a readible format that you can print out later, CopyTrans Contacts is by far the best solution to backup your WhatsApp chats.
You can view your WhatsApp chats, messages and transfer them to your PC. Among obvious benefits, CopyTrans Contacts also saves all your WhatsApp attachments to the computer, such as photos, videos, and audio messages. See for yourself:
- First, download and install CopyTrans Contacts from the following page: Download CopyTrans Contacts
- Run CopyTrans Contacts and connect your iPhone. The program will start loading all the iPhone data, this step can take a very long time so be patient.
- Click on the Messages tab (a speech-bubble icon on the left) and stand-by until you see all your iPhone text messages loaded. Select “WhatsApp” from the “Sources” pane on the top left. You will see all your WhatsApp conversations listed below.
TIP: To export messages for the specific period, click on the cogwheel symbol under the list of services and choose the exact time frame.
- Choose the conversations you wish to back up. To select a conversation, tick the checkbox next to each message thread on the left. To select all conversations at once, check the “Messages” box on top. You can also select individual messages within each conversation in the same way. Click on the “Export selected” button.
- Select the backup format. CopyTrans Contacts can save WhatsApp chats in various formats including PDF, web page (HTML), Word, Plain Text, and Excel.
Note: CopyTrans Contacts will automatically place all photos, videos, GIFs, voice messages and stickers from each conversation to a separate folder created on your PC. Please note that the attachment folder will be created for all export formats except for Excel and CSV.
- It’s time to transfer that WhatsApp backup to PC! Browse for a location on your PC to place the exported messages (or create a new folder). I prefer saving messages on my desktop so that I could find them easily later. Once selected, click OK.
- When the backup is finished, open this folder and tap on Messages.
- Select the latest backup folder.
- Open the conversation of your choice.
BONUS: You’ll find a folder containing all attachments from this exchange inside.
There are two ways to transfer WhatsApp messages to the new iPhone: iCloud and PC. Free iCloud storage is limited and creates problems with large amount of data. So we advice you to backup WhatsApp chats on your PC with CopyTrans Shelbee. Then you can restore it on your iPhone.
CopyTrans Shelbee makes a backup of all the iPhone data, not only the WhatsApp messages.
To save the chats you have to:
First of all, download CopyTrans Shelbee and install it.
Now start CopyTrans Shelbee and connect your iPhone to your PC.
Click on “Backup”…
… and then “Full Backup”.
Wait until a successful backup is created.
If your iPhone is encrypted, you can enter your iOS backup password to validate the backup. Read more about the iPhone backup password.
Restore WhatsApp messages to iPhone
If you’d like to restore just WhatsApp messages from a backup, use the CopyTrans Shelbee Custom restore option.
If you no longer have an access to your old WhatsApp Сhats because they are backed up on your old iPhone, you can use CopyTrans Backup Extractor to recover them from the backup on your PC, save them as a PDF file, open them on your PC and search for them.
This allows you to find a WhatsApp backup on your PC or in your iCloud. It also allows you to access to your old WhatsApp backups.
The process is simple and can be carried out in a few steps:
Download, install and start CopyTrans Backup Extractor:
CopyTrans Backup Extractor will now search for all the iPhone backups saved on your PC. Then you can select the iPhone backup you need and click on it.
If your WhatsApp is backed up in iCloud, click “Log in to iCloud” in the program to find the iCloud backup and extract WhatsApp messages.
When the backup opens, click on “WhatsApp”> “Extract”.
Now select a destination folder on the PC where you want to save your WhatsApp messages.
That’s it! Now you can read your old WhatsApp messages on your PC, look at WhatsApp images or find long-lost information.
CopyTrans Backup Extractor works with iTunes backups, iCloud backups, as well as backups made with CopyTrans Shelbee. If the backup is corrupted and cannot be restored with iTunes, CopyTrans Backup Extractor can still recover the data.
Backup WhatsApp messages to iCloud
iCloud allows you to keep a backup copy of WhatsApp chat histories online. However, conversations stored in iCloud are not really accessible on either the iPhone or the PC. If you need to later view your WhatsApp chat, consider backing it up to your computer.
Also, WhatsApp backup might take the most space of your iCloud storage, so make sure you have a paid subscription to save all your messages and attachments.
It’s recommended to use this backup method in case you wish to restore WhatsApp conversations to another iOS device.
- Run WhatsApp on the iPhone.
- Navigate to Settings > Chat Settings > Chat Backup.
- If you want your WhatsApp videos included in the backup, shift the toggle against “Include Videos” to the ON position. Turn the Auto Backup option on if you want to enable automatic backup.
You can set up the frequency of auto backups.
- Tap on”Back Up Now”.
Export WhatsApp chat via email
Sending WhatsApp messages via email is easy but not ideal, as this will only generate a TXT file. You can send only 10,000 messages at one time. Major drawback – you will not be able to restore them back to the iPhone using this method. To do so, follow how to restore WhatsApp chats tutorial.
If you are OK with these restrictions, follow the guide below to backup WhatsApp conversations via email.
- Open WhatsApp and navigate to the conversation you wish to email. Then tap the contact name on top.
- Tap on “Export Chat” and choose whether to include media (i.e. attached photos or videos).
- Now choose Email or another service.
An email will be sent containing the conversation(s) text saved into an attached TXT file. If you selected to include media, all photos/videos from the conversations will also be included as individual attachments.