If you have ever wondered how to backup WhatsApp messages, you have come to the right place. You can export WhatsApp chats to PC, including photos, voice messages and gifs, in just a few clicks and without much hassle.
Maybe you’ve already heard that WhatsApp is going to block every user who doesn’t accept the new license agreement. What to do? Well, don’t panic and make a WhatsApp backup – just in case.
You can choose between five different ways of transferring WhatsApp chat to PC. Note that these methods will only help you to know how to save WhatsApp chats and how to save WhatsApp audio. If you are an Android user, you can follow the official WhatsApp guide on how to back up WhatsApp to Google Drive.
How to backup WhatsApp on iPhone:
- Backup WhatsApp: as PDF or HTML
- WhatsApp Backup: on PC
- How to save Whatsapp Chats: Extract from backup
- WhatsApp iCloud backup
- WhatsApp transfer: via Email
as PDF or HTML
If you need to export WhatsApp chat to computer in a readable format to print out later, CopyTrans Contacts is by far the best solution to make a WhatsApp chat backup.
With CopyTrans Contacts, you can:
💭 export WhatsApp chats with all the attahments (photos, videos, emojis) to your PC;
💭 save iPhone contacts to PC;
💭 transfer contacts between Gmail, Outlook, Android and your PC or iPhone;
💭 recover, delete or edit iPhone contacts;
💭 manage notes and calendars
View your WhatsApp chats, messages and export them to your PC. And if you found yourself asking:
✔️ How to save WhatsApp videos?
✔️ How to save WhatsApp photos?
✔️ How to save WhatsApp audio?
– Well, among other obvious benefits, CopyTrans Contacts can save all your WhatsApp attachments (photos, videos, and audio messages) to PC. So, how to save WhatsApp chats on PC? Here is a solution:
- First, download and install CopyTrans Contacts from the following page: Try CopyTrans Contacts for free
- Run CopyTrans Contacts and connect your iPhone. The program will start loading all the iPhone data… This may take a while, so be patient.
- Click on the Messages tab (a speech bubble icon on the left) and stand by until you see all your iPhone text messages loaded. Select WhatsApp from the list of sources in the top-left corner. You will see all your WhatsApp conversations listed below.
TIP: To export messages for a specific time period, click on the cogwheel symbol under the list of services and choose the exact time frame.
- Now, to backup WhatsApp messages, choose the conversations you wish to back up. Click Export selected.
TIP: To select a conversation, tick the checkbox next to each message thread on the left. To select all conversations at once, check the “Messages” box on top. You can also select individual messages within each conversation in the same way.
- Select the backup format. CopyTrans Contacts can export WhatsApp chats in various formats including PDF, web page (HTML), Word, Plain Text, and Excel.
Note: CopyTrans Contacts will automatically place all photos, videos, GIFs, voice messages and stickers from each conversation into a separate folder created on your PC. Please note that the attachment folder will be created for all export formats except for Excel and CSV.
- It’s time to make a WhatsApp transfer to PC! Browse for a location on your PC to place the exported messages (or create a new folder). I prefer saving messages on my desktop so that I could find them easily later. Once selected, click OK.
- When the backup is finished, open this folder, and tap on Messages.
- Select the latest backup folder.
- Open the conversation of your choice.
BONUS: You’ll find a folder containing all the chat attachments right next to the exported document.
How to back up WhatsApp
There are two ways to transfer WhatsApp messages to your new iPhone: iCloud and PC.
❌ Free iCloud storage is limited and creates problems with large amounts of data.
✔️ We advise you to have a WhatsApp chat backup on your PC with CopyTrans Shelbee. Then you can restore WhatsApp from backup.
Advantages of CopyTrans Shelbee:
💭 You can recover selected data only or perform a full restore;
💭 Back up iPhone to an external hard drive or to a PC folder of your choice;
💭 Back up apps in .ipa files and transfer them to your new device;
💭 Make a full or incremental backup;
💭 Compatible with iTunes backup;
💭 Supports encrypted iPhone backups;
CopyTrans Shelbee backs up all the iPhone data, not only the WhatsApp messages.
To backup WhatsApp message, you have to:
First of all, download CopyTrans Shelbee and install it.
Now start CopyTrans Shelbee and connect your iPhone to your PC.
… and then Full Backup.
Wait until the backup successfully finishes.
If your iPhone is encrypted, you can enter your iOS backup password to validate the backup. If you want more info, we have an article about iPhone backup password.
As you’ve already guessed, CopyTrans Shelbee is perfect for WhatsApp transfer, backup & restore.
Restore WhatsApp from Backup
If you’d like to restore just your WhatsApp messages from a backup – nothing more, use the Custom restore option in CopyTrans Shelbee.
How to save Whatsapp chats
Extract from backup
If your WhatsApp chats stayed on another device, use CopyTrans Backup Extractor to search for a backup of this device and thenrecover WhatsApp messages to your PC: the messages will be automatically found, extracted to PC in PDF format, and you will be able to read the anytime.
Advantages of CopyTrans Backup Extractor:
💭 save attachments from SMS messages, WhatsApp or Threema chats;
💭 compatible with all backup types: iCloud, iTunes, CopyTrans Shelbee or other programs;
💭 find all the backups automatically;
💭 the trial version allows you to preview data types in the backup.
CopyTrans Backup Extractor searches for backups on your PC and in iCloud. It also allows you to access your old WhatsApp backups. The process is rather simple:
Download, install and run CopyTrans Backup Extractor:
The program will now search for all the iPhone backups saved on your PC. Then you can select the iPhone backup you need and click on it.
If you have a WhatsApp iCloud backup, click Log in to iCloud to find the iCloud backup and extract WhatsApp backup from iCloud..
When the backup opens, click WhatsApp -> Extract.
Now select a destination folder on your PC.
That’s it! You can now read WhatsApp messages on PC, look up images from WhatsApp chats or find some long-lost piece of information.
CopyTrans Backup Extractor works with iTunes backups, iCloud backups, as well as backups made with CopyTrans Shelbee. If the backup is corrupted and cannot be restored with iTunes, CopyTrans Backup Extractor may still recover the data.
NOTE: If you are restoring from iTunes backup, you may be asked for a backup password. What password?
iCloud backups will be marked with a cloud icon and they are never password-protected.
WhatsApp iCloud backup
iCloud allows you to keep a backup copy of WhatsApp chat history online. However, these messages cannot be accessed from iPhone or PC. Also, WhatsApp backup takes space in your iCloud storage, so you may need to pay to store your messages and attachments in iCloud. If you plan on viewing your WhatsApp chats later, consider making a backup to your computer.
It’s recommended to use this backup method in case you wish to restore WhatsApp conversations to another iOS device. So, how to backup WhatsApp on iCloud?
- On your iPhone, open WhatsApp.
- Secondly, to make iCloud WhatsApp Backup, navigate to Settings > Chat Settings > Chat Backup.
- If you want your WhatsApp videos included in the backup, set the toggle next to “Include Videos” to ON. Turn on Auto Backup if you want to enable regular automatic backups.
The frequency of automatic backups can easily be adjusted.
- Tap on”Back Up Now”.
That is how you make your icloud whatsapp copy and then you could restore WhatsApp from iCloud.
How to backup WhatsApp on iPhone?
To make a WhatsApp transfer by sending WhatsApp messages via email is not a perfect option, as your messages will be sent in TXT format. Also, you can only send 10,000 messages at a time. Another major drawback – you will not be able to restore them to iPhone later. If you’re interested, we have a guide on how to restore WhatsApp chats.
If you are OK with these restrictions, we will show you how to backup WhatsApp on iPhone via email.
- Open WhatsApp and navigate to the conversation you wish to email. Then tap the contact name on top.
- Tap on Export Chat and choose whether to include media (i.e. attached photos or videos).
- Now choose Email or another service.
An email will be sent containing the conversation(s) in TXT format. If you chose to include media, all photos/videos from the conversations will also be sent as individual attachments.