You are in a public place and suddenly an iPhone starts ringing. Probably this is the moment when several people around you start fumbling in their pocket and have a quick glance at their iPhone. The best way to make sure that is really you who is receiving a call, is setting a custom iPhone ringtone. There are three good reasons to create custom iPhone ringtones: 1. It is free 2. It takes only a few minutes and 3. It is fun!
In this article we will show you three different ways to make custom iPhone ringtones. You can use websites like Melofania.com or Audiko.net, download one of the many free ringtone maker apps to your iPhone or use iTunes to convert songs to ringtones.
Where to download free iPhone ringtones?
The easiest way to get free iPhone ringtones is using one of the many websites to download existing ringtones. Most of them also offer the possibility to upload your favorite song to convert it into a ringtone. Once you downloaded the ringtone to your PC, you can add it to your iPhone via our free iTunes Alternative CopyTrans Manager.
1. Websites to download and make free ringtones
Here is a small selection of websites to download and create free custom ringtones:
No matter what site you go for, the procedure to create custom ringtones is pretty much identical. In the following steps I used Melofania.com to download and create free custom ringtones for my iPhone.
The advantage of Melofania.com is that you can download existing ringtones for free and without having to create an user account. To download existing iPhone ringtones:
- Open http://www.melofania.com/
- Search for a song in using the search bar in the upper right part of the page, or click on a popular ringtone like e.g. “Roar from Katy Perry” or “Lorde from Royals”
- In the next window select “iPhone” to download the ringtone in *.m4r format
- The ringtone will be saved to the Downloads folder on your PC and you can now use iTunes or our free iTunes Alternative CopyTrans Manager to add it to your iPhone
Create free custom ringtones using your favorite songs
If you didn’t find what your are looking for, you can use Melofania.com, or any other website that I mentioned above, to create individual iPhone ringtones. To do so, follow theses steps:
- Back on Melofania.com click on “Upload”
- Select the song that you want to convert into a ringtone and click on “Open”
- Wait until the website finished uploading and processing the file
- Now you can easily select the part of the song that you want to convert to a ringtone. Most sites allow ringtones with a maximum length of 40 seconds. Once you are done, confirm your choice in clicking “Create ringtone”
- In the next window you can enter the artist and track name
- Now, select the right file format “*.m4r” to download your free, custom iPhone ringtone to your PC
- The ringtone will be saved to the Downloads folder, from where you can add it to your iPhone
Add ringtones to iPhone without iTunes
To quickly add your custom ringtone to your iPhone, you can use our free iTunes Alternative.
Download CopyTrans Manager from:
- Install and launch the program
- Connect your iPhone to your PC and wait until its contents show up in CopyTrans Manager
- Now, simply drag and drop the ringtone from the downloads folder into the open CopyTrans Manager window
- Click on “Apply” and the ringtone will be saved to your iPhone
How to set a custom iPhone ringtone?
Once you successfully added your custom ringtone to your iPhone you can set it like this:
- On your iPhone go to “Settings > Sounds > Ringtone” and select the ringtone. Usually you will find all custom ringtones on top of the ringtone list
- That’s it!
How to backup iPhone ringtones to PC?
You may wish to have a safe backup of your custom iPhone ringtones before updating the iOS version or before moving to another phone. Whatever the case, use CopyTrans to back up the ringtones as described in this tutorial
2. iPhone apps to create free ringtones
Open the iTunes Store and search for “Ringtone maker”. You will then get a list of different apps that allow you to create free ringtones directly on your iPhone. Unfortunately, though you will still have to use iTunes on your PC to move ringtones out of the ringtone maker app to the “Sounds-Section” of your iPhone.
The procedure to create ringtones on your iPhone is more or less the same, no matter what app you use. In this example we used the app out of the first link in the list above.
- Download, install and open the app on your iPhone
- Start by selecting a song. In Ringtone Maker you therefore just tap the musical note
- Your native iPhone music app will open. Go to a playlist and select the song that you want to convert to a ringtone
- Now you can set the stop time and length of the ringtone. In the free version of the app the maximum length is 30 seconds. If you purchase the app you get 10 seconds more. You can also define, if you want the ringtone to fade in and out. There are still some advanced options but these are only available in the paid version too. As soon as you are satisfied with your ringtone, tap the disk icon to save the ringtone to the app.
To be able to use the ringtone on your iPhone there are still some steps to take and you will have to switch to your PC.
- Open iTunes and connect your iPhone to the PC
- Select your iPhone, go to Apps and scroll down to File Sharing. Click on the Ringtone Maker App. In the right window you will now see the recently created ringtone. Select it and click on “Save to…” to save the ringtone to your PC
- Go to the folder where you saved the ringtone and drag and drop it into the open iTunes window. This way it will be saved under “Tones” in your iTunes library
- From within your iTunes library, select the ringtone and drag and drop it to your iPhone
- Now you successfully added your free custom ringtone to your iPhone. To set the ringtone on your iPhone, go to “Settings > Sounds > Ringtone” and select the ringtone. That’s it!
3. How to make iPhone ringtones using iTunes
The third way to easily create ringtones and to add them to your iPhone is using iTunes itself.
- Open iTunes and select the song that you wish to convert into a ringtone. Click on the right button of your mouse and select “Get Info”
- In the appearing window go to the tab named “Options” and set the Stop Time to a value below 30 seconds
- Close the window and right-click again on the song. This time select “Create AAC Version”. Your song will now get duplicated. Note: Don’t forget to go back to the original to remove the Stop Time.
- Select the newly created AAC Version of your song, use one last time the right click and select “Show in Windows Explorer”
- Now, change the file extension from *.m4a to *.m4r. Ignore the warning about changing the file extension in clicking Yes.
- Drag the newly created ringtone from the Windows Explorer window into the open iTunes library. You will now find the ringtone under “Tones”
- Add the ringtone to your iPhone with Drag and Drop
- To set the ringtone on your iPhone, go again to “Settings > Sounds > Ringtone” and select the ringtone. You are all set!
That’s it! Making custom iPhone ringtones is as easy as that. We wish you lots of fun with your new, free iPhone ringtones!
Written by Carina L.