You are in a public place and suddenly an iPhone starts ringing. Probably this is the moment when several people around you start fumbling through their pockets in search of their iPhone. The best way to make sure that the call is actually for you is to set a custom iPhone ringtone. There are three good reasons to create custom iPhone ringtones:
1. It is free;
2. It takes only a few minutes;
3. It is fun!
In this article, we will show you three different ways to make custom iPhone ringtones. You can use websites, GarageBand app or iTunes to convert songs to ringtones.
- Create free custom ringtones using your favourite songs
- Add ringtones to iPhone from computer without iTunes
- How to set a custom iPhone ringtone?
- How to back up iPhone ringtones to PC?
Where to download free iPhone ringtones?
The easiest way to get free iPhone ringtones is to use one of the many websites to download existing ringtones. Most of them also offer the possibility to upload your favorite song to convert it into a ringtone. Once you downloaded the ringtone to your PC, you can add it to your iPhone via our free iTunes Alternative, CopyTrans Manager. In the recent release, Apple got rid of the ringtones tab in iTunes. But even if you manage to add a ringtone to your iPhone, it’s impossible to remove it with iTunes. Luckily for you, CopyTrans Manager can delete a ringtone.
How to make iPhone ringtones using websites
Here is a small selection of websites to download and create free custom ringtones:
No matter which site you go for, the procedures to create custom ringtones are almost identical. In the following steps I used www.melofania.club to download and create free custom ringtones for my iPhone.
The advantage of www.melofania.club is that you can download existing ringtones for free and without having to create a user account. To download existing iPhone ringtones:
- Open https://www.melofania.club/
- Search for a song using the search bar on the top right of the page, or click on a popular ringtone like e.g. “Roar from Katy Perry” or “Lorde from Royals”.
- In the next window select “iPhone” to download the ringtone in *.m4r format.
- The ringtone will be saved to the Downloads folder on your PC and you can now use iTunes or our free iTunes Alternative, CopyTrans Manager, to add it to your iPhone.
Create free custom ringtones using your favorite songs
If you didn’t find what your are looking for, you can use Melofania.com or any other website that we mentioned above, to create individual iPhone ringtones. To do so, follow these steps:
- Go back to the site and click on “Upload”.
- Select the song that you want to convert into a ringtone and click on “Open”.
- Wait until the website finishes uploading and processing the file.
- Now you can easily select the part of the song that you want to convert into a ringtone. Most sites allow ringtones with a maximum length of 30 seconds. Once you are done, confirm your choice by clicking on “Create ringtone”.
- In the next window, you can enter the artist and track name. After that, click on a “Get ringtone” button.
- Now, select the right file format “*.m4r” to download your free, custom iPhone ringtone to your PC.
- The ringtone will be saved to the Downloads folder, from where you can add it to your iPhone.
Add ringtones to iPhone from computer without iTunes
To quickly add a custom ringtone to your iPhone, you can use our free iTunes Alternative.
Download CopyTrans Manager from:
- Install and launch the program.
- Connect your iPhone to your PC and wait until its contents show up in CopyTrans Manager.
- Now, simply drag and drop the ringtone from the downloads folder into the open CopyTrans Manager window.
- Click on “Apply” and the ringtone will be saved to your iPhone.
How to set a custom iPhone ringtone?
Once you successfully added your custom ringtone to your iPhone you can set it like this:
How to backup iPhone ringtones to PC?
You may wish to have a safe backup of your custom iPhone ringtones before updating the iOS version or before moving to another phone. Whatever the case, use CopyTrans to back up the ringtones as described in this tutorial.
How to make ringtones on your iPhone
Another easy way to make a ringtone is to make it directly on your iPhone. To do that, you need just two things:
- GarageBand iOS app (you can download it from the AppStore for free);
- A song on your iPhone you want to use as a ringtone.
Please note: you can’t transfer DRM-protected songs (all the songs from Apple music subscription).
Don’t be afraid of the number of steps and screenshots: in fact, this is a very simple process and will take about five minutes.
- Run the program on your iPhone.
- Select a random instrument. In the example, we chose a “Smart piano”.
- Now you just need to record something. Don’t worry, you will delete this sound later and replace it with your song. To record you need to do this: tap on the red circle – make some noise with keys – tap on the green triangle.
- Tap the “Edit” button.
- After that, tap the Loops button and add the chosen track: just drag and drop this song into your project.
- Now you can delete the piano noise you’ve made before. Double-click on it and choose “Delete”.
- Don’t forget that ringtones have a maximum duration of 30 seconds. You can crop a song by holding its edges.
- After that, click on a triangle in the upper-left corner and click on “My songs”.
- Long-press on a song you’ve just made and click on “Share”.
- Click on “ringtone”.
- Change the name of the song if you want and click on “Export”.
If you want to set this song as a tone to your calls, texts or other alerts, go to iPhone Settings > Sounds > Ringtone. You will find the ringtone you’ve just created right at the top of the list.
How to make iPhone ringtones using iTunes
The third way to easily create ringtones and to add them to your iPhone is using iTunes itself.
- Open iTunes and select the song that you wish to convert into a ringtone. Right-click on it and select “Song Info”.
- In the new window, go to the tab named “Options” and set the Stop Time to 30 seconds or shorter. Click on OK.
- With the song highlighted, click on File, then on Convert and select “Create AAC Version.” Your song will now get duplicated. Note: Don’t forget to go back to the original to remove the Stop Time.
- Select the newly created AAC Version of your song, right click and select “Show in Windows Explorer”.
- Now, manualy change the file extension from *.m4a to *.m4r. Ignore the warning about changing the file extension in clicking on “Yes”.
Note: If you don’t see an extension of the file so you can’t change it, here is how to:
- Type “Control Panel” in the Start Menu search bar and click the Control Panel.
- Type “File Explorer” in the search box, click on “File Explorer Options”, then on the “View” tab and uncheck the box “Hide extensions for known file types.”
That’s it! Making custom iPhone ringtones is as easy as that. We wish you lots of fun with your new free iPhone ringtones!