We all love the Live Photo functionality on the recent iOS devices. However, there’s a question that pops up pretty often: how to convert Live Photo to a video? Just like me, you probably want to post your Live Photo to Instagram, but it just doesn’t support this format.
The solution is easy – let’s convert iPhone Live Photo into one of the possible options:
If you’d like to learn more about iPhone Live Photos in general, head over to our Live Photo ultimate guide.
How to convert a Live Photo to a still
Live Photos are great in combining a video and a photo portion of a moment. But what if we no longer need a video part and want to convert our Live Photo to a still? Well, there are 3 ways:
- Make a screenshot – which is obvious, but the quality might be impacted.
- Duplicate as still image right on your iPhone – good for one picture.
- Use CopyTrans Photo to save a still of the Live Photo(s).
With CopyTrans Photo you can automatically save only a photo portion of the Live Photo to a computer and send it back to iPhone. Your Live Photo will be saved in jpg format.
- Download and install CopyTrans Photo from the following link:
- Run the program and connect your device. Navigate through your iPhone photos on the left pane and select the live photo you want to transfer. All your Live Photos have a familiar icon indicator.
- On the right pane, select the folder where you want to transfer your Live Photo. And drag and drop the Live Photo from left to right.
- Hit Apply Changes to finish the transfer.
- The desired Live Photo is now a still image on your PC. To transfer it back to iPhone, creat a new folder using CopyTrans Photo and drag and drop the still from right to left pane.
How to convert Live Photos to a video
Alternatively, you might actually want to use the video portion of the file, especially when you want to photo your Live Photo on Instagram. Here’s where you will definitely need CopyTrans Photo:
- The process is simple. Run the program and connect your device. Your Live Photos will be on the left.
- On the right pane, select the PC folder where you want to transfer your Live Photos. Drag and drop the Live Photo from left to right and hit the Apply Changes button in the top left.
You will get two separate files on your PC – a JPEG file and a MOV file.
Delete the JPG file and copy the video file back to iPhone with CopyTrans Photo by dragging and dropping it to the right side of the interface. Now you will have a video file on your iPhone instead of a Live Photo.
This video can be easily added to your Instagram – no restrictions anymore!
How to convert a Live Photo to a gif
Actually, you could create a Boomerang out of your Live Photo all along – the setting is right on your device! Swipe up while viewing your Live Photo, you will be able to choose an extra effect which will convert the Live Photo to a GIF: Loop, Bounce or Long Exposure.
Your newly created gif will be saved in the Animated folder in the Photos App.
Hope this article was useful. Happy converting!